Jack’s Birth Story

Jack has officially been earth side for one whole week now and we’re starting to settle in to life with a newborn. It’s hard to believe he has already been with us for a week. These last 7 days feel like a blur, yet those seconds when he’s squalling at 2 am seem to last forever 😂

He is currently snoozing after getting tanked up on milk, so I decided now would be a good time to share his birth story.

My due date was November 3rd and I actually had an induction scheduled for November 5th, if he hadn’t arrived. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which makes me a bit higher risk post term. I was absolutely terrified of being induced for whatever reason, so I just kept hoping he would make his way before then.

On Monday the 2nd, contractions woke me up at 3 am, although at the time I did not realize exactly what was going on. They felt like really intense menstrual cramps and I wasn’t quite sure if this was “it” or not. I tried to go back to sleep, laid there for an hour or so, went to the bathroom and a whole lot was going on down there, that’s when I knew.

I woke Bobby up and told him it may be go time. I wanted to wait as long as possible so I could make it to my doctor’s office to find out if I was for sure in labor. I hated the thought of getting to the hospital, waiting and then being told to go back home. I took myself a shower, finished packing my bag and waited as long as I could to call my doctor. It was 6:30 when I called, so I had been laboring now for about 3.5 hours, and my doctor asked if I could make it until 8:30 and I said yes. I was managing my way through the contractions, granted they were getting much closer and more intense.

Bobby and I waited around, finished what we could and headed down to my doctor’s office. By this time, I thought my water had broken but I wasn’t sure. It wasn’t a big ‘gush’ like you see on television, just a small one so I just didn’t know. On the drive over, I had to tell Bobby to take it easy. I swear he was hitting all the pot holes (although, he was trying to miss them) but I felt like my insides were falling out 😅 which I guess they kind of were.

We arrived at my doctor’s office, went back and found that my water had broken and I was 4cm dilated!! It was just 3 days earlier that I was only 1.5cm. So, we headed to the hospital, didn’t have to be triaged and our room was waiting for us. Oh how thankful I was for that.

We got settled into our room and one of the first things Bobby did was get out the ipad and start FRIENDS for me. And you know what, FRIENDS played the entire time! All the way through delivery. He was born on season 6 episode 19, in case you’re wondering. And now that I think about it, one of Monica and Chandler’s twins was named Jack – how perfect is that! I also have to add in here that Bobby was such a wonderful partner throughout the whole process. I mean who walks into the room and immediately puts on FRIENDS and tells you your beautiful? Bobby, that’s who.

I asked for an epidural pretty much immediately, my contractions were crazy intense. I felt like they were taking over my body and that my midsection was convulsing. And let me tell you, I GOT an epidural. I couldn’t feel a thing – highly recommended.

I laid in the bed, watching FRIENDS fully expecting to be there for 12 hours or more before anything happened. Well, turns out I was 10cm by 3pm. I had only been at the hospital for 6 hours! Good thing I asked for that epidural when I did.

I pushed for about 2.5 hours and his little heart rate began decelerating in between contractions. He was losing energy because he was trying to come out at an angle. His little body was laying on my left side. With his heart rate dropping so low, down to 85 at one point, I had to have a little help. The doc told me I would need to have assistance from a vacuum, which scared me so much. But I knew it was the best thing to do. If that didn’t work, I was most likely headed for a C-section.

The vacuum was all set up, I pushed through a couple of contractions and Jack was born. I cannot tell you what a relief it was to see his little face. I was so worried I wasn’t going to be able to do it, I was running out of energy myself. But there he was, 8 lbs 4 oz + 21 inches long. Our perfect little fella. And all of a sudden I was a momma.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.