16   164
29   238
23   247
88   433
13   294
21   336

Overcoming Feelings of Inadequacy

If it looks like I’ve been crying in these pictures, it’s because I was. (The second picture is my attempt not to cry.)

The “photo session” started out good, even though I was feeling a little under the weather but then I began to have the thoughts of ‘why don’t I look a certain way?’ or ‘why can’t my pictures look like theirs?’. I got in my own head and I couldn’t get out.

I struggle with self-confidence and feelings of inadequacy on a daily basis. It is quite the feat for me to pose in an outfit for a picture and then post it in the world of social media for all to see.  It may not seem like much, but for someone who feels like they are never good enough, it is. I am a perfectionist, which can be quite destructive. I constantly dwell on my mistakes. Dialogues run through my head, ‘why did you say that?’ or ‘you are so stupid’.

In the book I am currently reading, Faith Forward Future by Chad Veach, there is an exercise that asks you to write down three negative views you have about yourself that cause you to struggle. So for me I wrote, inadequate, failure, self-doubting. Then beside those words you write down how God views you. Here is what I found:

Sufficient in Him {2 Corinthians 3:5 — Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God}

Strong in Him {2 Corinthians 12:9 — My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness}

Confident in Him {Phillipians 1:6 — Being confident of this very thing, who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.} I need not be concerned about my own abilities, but His.

I am trying to meditate on these verses to help ward off the battle I often have with myself. All too often we become paralyzed by the fear of rejection based on our feelings of inadequacy. But with God, because of His love for us, we are enough, we are strong, we are confident.

15 Comments

1. January 29, 2018 / 2:57 pm

I have the same struggles. I was raised in a very conservative/legalistic “Christian” family. My father is a narcissistic, emotional abuser, my mother his enforer. I grew up always thinking I’m not good enough and never will be. Now as an adult I really struggle with insufficiency, I have no self esteem and always assume people don’t want to be my friends and don’t like me, although I have the most supportive husband and kids who encourage me. I struggle believing God loves me, especially in the last 4 years as I’ve been going through major trials in my life. I really appreciate you sharing this, as I know it can’t be easy. I understand how you feel and I hope one day we can both be set free of these thoughts and lies.

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      January 29, 2018 / 11:51 pm

Patricia, even though we have never met, I hope you know I support you, as well. Considering what you just shared, I am blown away by your strength. All too often Jesus is misrepresented by people who proclaim to be ‘christians’. You have to remember that someone without love is not of Him. Man will always disappoint and let us down, mislead us. Therefore, we must remember not to put our faith in man, but our faith in Jesus. Satan is telling you that you are not loved. But, oh how much Jesus does love you! Just keep your eyes on Him and know that he is our prize, our everlasting life. You have everything in Him. Pour your life into Him.

2. January 29, 2018 / 6:06 pm

Really really love this post, Courtney! I love how honest and raw this is. I struggle with many of the same thoughts and self doubt and to have someone share how they’re feeling is so amazing. You should be so proud of yourself girl! I am definitely going to have to pick up this book as well. Love ya!

xo, Lydia

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      January 29, 2018 / 11:38 pm

Thank you so much! I was so worried about posting it (obvisouly). I was afraid people would think I was weak or wanted pity. But I think exposing our weaknesses helps others, especially if they may struggle with the same thing. It makes you feel not so alone, ya know. Love you sweet girl! I appreciate your support!

3. Anita
    January 30, 2018 / 2:12 am

Thank you so much for sharing! I can relate, as I think many of us can. You are not alone!

Xo,
    Anita | http://www.oh-anita.com

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      February 2, 2018 / 12:58 am

I hope you were encouraged! Thank you so much for reading! ❤️

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      February 2, 2018 / 12:59 am

I appreciate you reading this post so much. It’s always encouraging to be able to connect with others who share your same struggles.

4. Olga
    February 1, 2018 / 1:55 am

Love this post and the scriptures you have chosen to go along with it. Great job! And you look beautiful (as always)!

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      March 1, 2018 / 2:12 am

Thank you so so much!

5. February 1, 2018 / 4:26 am

Courtney — I loved this post so much. What you’re walking through is something I think we all walk through in some way, especially in this day and age when everything is public, and most things are seemingly perfect. I really loved Chad’s book and I’m so glad to see it’s resonated with you, too. The verses you wrote down are so powerful and remind me that I need to affirm myself more often with God’s truth. Thank you for this post.

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      March 1, 2018 / 2:13 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post! It means so much to me!

6. February 2, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Thank you for sharing Courtney. Raw emotional stories are the best. Way better than photo shopped perfection. I am too a perfectionist and I think it hinders us so much! Those verses were just perfect for the words and a great example that we can find anything we are looking for in God’s words.

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      March 1, 2018 / 2:14 am

I appreciate your words so much! Thank you!

7. Ashlei
    February 4, 2018 / 9:51 pm

You’re amazing for sharing this! It’s so brave what you do, putting yourself out there and making yourself vulnerable. You are enough! 💕

• awesomeonoccasion
      Author
      March 1, 2018 / 2:14 am

Thank you so much, Ashlei! Your words mean more than you know!