A bit of an introspective post today — I wanted to share with you all a few things that I have learned from my short time so far in the blogosphere.
1. It takes time. At least for me it has. 10 months into blogging and I feel like I am just now finding my footing and honing in on exactly it is I want to convey through my blog.
2. With that being said, be patient. This is really hard for me because I am, by fault, an instant satisfaction kind of person. But I am learning that growing a following organically is the best way possible. This way your followers truly know you and your vision for the blog and those are followers who will most likely stick around and engage with you.
3. Don’t force it. If it feels forced, then it’s not right. I’ve learned not to write something or post something simply for the sake of posting. In doing that I feel like not only you but your followers and readers lose sight of the vision you have for your blog.
4. Don’t lose sight of yourself. I felt extremely compelled to get this point across, especially to myself. BE YOU. Don’t try to be someone else. It feels wrong of me to say this considering I have a fashion blog here, but seriously, just because so and so wears a dress doesn’t mean you should buy it. Or just because so and so takes a picture a certain way doesn’t mean you should too. Now don’t get me wrong, if that dress is totally your style then by all means rock it. Just make sure you are doing it because YOU like the dress and not because so and so was wearing it. I will say I was extremely guilty of this, especially at first. I have thought before that maybe if I buy or do what the girls with 100K followers do then the same thing will happen to me. But as of recently I think I have finally grabbed a hold of my personal style and I am doing my very best to stay true to that despite the influences from a heavily saturated fashion blogosphere.
5. If you do all of these things I have mentioned, at least in my opinion, I feel like you will have a genuine following. Those who are truly interested and loyal to you because they know who you are. So, be real. I want you all to know me in my imperfectness, hence the awesome on occasion name, not just my highlight reel on Instagram. I want to be real with you all so you can better know the person who is writing these posts. I am just an ordinary girl, saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ. I happen to really like outfits and this was the best way I knew how to showcase them. I am also a huge nerd, sometimes I stutter, and I tend to cry at commercials, I was bullied in high school and I still struggle with self-confidence because of it. So see perhaps we are more alike than you thought. 🙂
I know there is so much more for me to learn but these things really jumped out at me lately. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and hopefully will continue on this blogging journey with me.